There are two kinds of financial assistance available to ONA members for occupational health and safety training:
|Document Download||ONA Bursary Application Form|
Five $1,000 bursaries are awarded each year to provide access to additional education for members to improve occupational health and safety in the workplace.
The President and the Vice-President, Health and Safety Portfolio, serve as the selection team. Successful applicants will be notified within one month of the decision.
The application deadline is March 1 each year.
The ONA Board of Directors has established the following eligibility criteria for the bursary:
- Applicants must be bona fide ONA members.
- Applicants must provide evidence that the education/outreach relates to the purpose of the bursary (occupational health and safety).
- Applicants must explain how the education/outreach will advance the goals of the Union.
- Applicants must explain how they plan to share the information obtained from the education/outreach with other ONA members.
- Bursary funds will be provided to successful applicants upon proof of completion of the education/outreach. The successful applicant should endeavour to complete the education/outreach within 12 months of notification of bursary approval.
- In compliance with Canada's federal Tax Act, a T4A Information slip will be issued by ONA confirming the bursary amount. The bursary amount is to be reported as Other Income on the recipient's personal tax return. All Information slips will be issued on or before the last day in February following the calendar year to which the slips apply.
|Document Download||Workers’ Health and Safety Centre Scholarship Application Form|
The ONA Board of Directors has endorsed the Workers’ Health and Safety Centre (WHSC) as the occupational health and safety training centre of choice for ONA members.
Each year the WHSC distributes a number of scholarships to various unions, depending on the number of WHSC training programs and workshops that a union has conducted throughout the previous year.
These scholarships are for WHSC Level 2 Training or Instructor Training. In addition, the WHSC may offer scholarships for Instructor Upgrades.
When ONA is advised by WHSC of awarded scholarships, a letter will be sent from the Office of the President to known qualified ONA members to inform them of the upcoming training program/conference. Included with the letter will be the application form.
The President and Vice-President, Health and Safety Portfolio, review the applications and make the scholarship selections.
The application deadline will be determined by ONA for each scholarship provided by the WHSC.
The following are the mandatory eligibility criteria:
- Applicants must be bona fide ONA members who serve as a health and safety representative for their bargaining unit.
- Applicants must have completed the WHSC Level 1 Occupational Health and Safety training. (Members wishing to obtain WHSC Level 1 training can contact the WHSC directly.)
- Consideration will be given to awarding one scholarship per Region.
- Applicants wanting additional financial support to obtain this training must request financial support from their Local and indicate such Local approval on their application form.
- Applicants for the Instructor Upgrade scholarship must be a certified instructor for the WHSC.