Human Rights & Equity
Welcome to the Ontario Nurses' Association's Human Rights & Equity (HRE) home page. Please visit the many resources and links in the Human Rights & Equity section (at right) to help you with HRE issues.
Apply to be on the Provincial Human Rights and Equity Team
The ONA Provincial Human Rights and Equity (HR&E) Team is comprised of ONA members and staff with a mandate to promote ONA’s development as an inclusive and equitable organization. The team is seeking participants to represent ONA members of Aboriginal Descent, Francophone Members and Racially Diverse Members on the team. Please note that you must belong to the respective equity group. Further information can be found in this memo from ONA President Linda Haslam-Stroud.
If you are interested in applying, please complete the Expression of Interest form and return it by November 28, 2014 to the attention of:
The Office of the President,
Suite 400, 85 Grenville Street,
Toronto ON M5S 3A2
Fax: (416) 964-8864 in Toronto or toll free 1-866-964-8864.
Document Download: Memo - Provincial Human Rights and Equity Team (English and French versions)
Document Download: Expression of Interest Form (English and French versions)
2014 Human Rights and Equity Caucus and Subsidy Information
The 2014 Human Rights and Equity Caucus will be held on Monday, November 17, at the Westin Harbour Castle in Toronto. The theme for this year’s Caucus education session will be “Disability Rights are Human Rights.” Information about Caucus subsidy applications has been sent to Bargaining Unit Presidents, Local Coordinators, and HR&E Representatives/Advocates. The application form is available for downloading below and the deadline to submit your application is Friday, September 19, 2014.
Document Download: 2014 Human Rights & Equity Caucus Subsidy Application Form (English)
Téléchargement du document: 2014 Human Rights & Equity Caucus Subsidy Application Form (French)
The Human Rights and Equity Team is a diverse group of members and staff bringing forth a rich mixture of knowledge and experience that the team members possess. Our Team's Vision is to:
- provide a venue for fair and impartial consideration of issues, including member-to-member harassment.
- respect and value the diversity and integrity of the Team, ONA members and staff.
- promote ONA as a leader in human rights/equity issues in Ontario.
- be accountable to membership and staff through the Board of Directors and Chief Executive Officer/Chief Administrative Officer.
- promote increased involvement of the equity groups in the activities and leadership of ONA.
- further ONA's Vision.
The team is comprised of 10 team members (six from membership and four from staff) allocated as follows:
- Chair: Vice-President, Human Rights and Equity Portfolio
- Designated Membership Equity Groups:
- Members of Aboriginal Descent.
- Members with Disabilities.
- Francophone Members.
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (LGBT) Members.
- Racialized Members.
Note: Every effort will be made to ensure there is membership representation from each of the designated equity groups.
- Human Rights/Equity Specialist and Labour Relations Assistant from the Provincial Services Team (staff).
- One member from Strategy Team/Team Managers (staff).
Your Team Members
- Pam Mancuso, Vice-President, Region 1 (Human Rights and Equity portfolio)
- Benjamin Ramirez Jimenez
- Sarah Lacasse
- Linda Warkentin
- Linda Belec
- Michelle Kennedy
- Donna Walrond, Project Manager
- Linda Green
- Karen Sandercock