Legal Expense Assistance Plan (LEAP)
The Ontario Nurses’ Association’s Legal Expense Assistance Plan (LEAP) was established in 1980 to assist ONA members with legal or regulatory body problems relating to their work, including those arising from the province's Regulated Health Professions Act.
UPDATED ----> Document Download: Legal Expense Assistance Plan (LEAP): A Guide for ONA Members (May 2016)
Assistance, in the form of advocacy or counselling, is provided in the following situations:
- Investigations of a member’s professional practice arising from a complaint or report to her or his regulatory body (college), and appeal of a regulatory body decision.
- Investigations of a member’s conduct arising from a complaint to the Information and Privacy Commissioner under Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA), and appeals of orders.
- Participation as a subpoenaed witness in a criminal case, court custody case, Regulated Health Professionals Act matter or a coroner’s inquest.
- Defense against criminal prosecution arising from a job-related incident (subject to certain restrictions).
For details relating to the limitations of the coverage, please refer to the plan itself. Please contact us to request a copy.
- All registered nurses, graduate nurses and allied health professionals for whom ONA is the bargaining agent, and who are regularly paying dues, are covered by the plan.
- For newly organized members who are not yet paying dues, coverage may be purchased at a nominal fee.
- Eligibility is limited to matters arising from incidents which occur during a member’s employment as a registered or graduate nurse, or allied health personnel.
- The incident must have occurred at a workplace for which ONA is the bargaining agent.
The LEAP Team
Assistance is provided by members of ONA’s LEAP Team. The team is multi-skilled. Its composition includes professionals with backgrounds in law, nursing, intake and social work. Members may be referred to external counsel when deemed necessary. French language representation will be made available on request.
Membership Link to Team
ONA’s LEAP Advisory Team, which has a mandate to review and report on LEAP operations, consists of the ONA First Vice-President, Political Action and Professional Issues, and front-line ONA members.
How do I Make a Claim?
Any member who believes that she/he is entitled to assistance, or requires more information about the Legal Expense Assistance Plan should contact the LEAP Team.
ONA Toronto Office
85 Grenville Street, Suite 400
Toronto, Ontario, M5S 3A2
Toll free: 1-800-387-5580
|Document Download||LEAP pamphlet (English/French) (Revised October 2014)|
|Document Download||Legal Expense Assistance Plan (LEAP) - revised April 2016|
|Document Download||Application for newly organized members not yet paying dues (April, 2012)|
Member Services, LEAP, eStore
Do you think there are enough registered nurses working to care for patients in Ontario?
My Union. My Contract. My Workplace.