Workplace violence prevention indicators were added to the hospital Quality Improvement Plans (QIPs) beginning in 2018/19. This indicator is a mandatory indicator and is the result of Recommendation #19 from the Workplace Violence Prevention in Healthcare Leadership Table report, which aims to ensure that workplace violence prevention becomes part of the quality improvement culture in hospitals. QIPs are submitted annually to Health Quality Ontario and are a public commitment that hospitals make to improving care – they are publicly posted and require board sign-off and regular oversight. Hospitals are also encouraged to move beyond their required consultations with their Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC) to actually including JHSCs in the development of the workplace violence prevention activities within the QIP.
ONA JHSC representative and leaders are invited to learn more about the QIPs from Health Quality Ontario. This session will:
- Provide an introduction to QIPs, including timelines and key activities
- Discuss the rationale for mandating a specific indicator on workplace violence prevention in the QIPs
- Describe how the JHSC is to be involved in the development of the QIP and how JHSC representatives and quality improvement teams can work together on this important issue
- Describe observations and lessons learned from 2018/19
- Describe guidance and resource materials that will be available to help your employer develop their QIP and implement it in your workplace
- Information about QIPs can be accessed here: http://www.hqontario.ca/Quality-Improvement/Quality-Improvement-Plans
This webinar will be of particular interest to ONA’s Hospital Bargaining Unit Health and Safety Representatives, Bargaining Unit Presidents, Local Coordinators and JHSC members. Leaders and JHSC ONA representatives in other sectors will also find this webinar useful because your employers may also submit QIPs to Health Quality Ontario. (While this new indicator on workplace violence is not mandatory in the QIPs of long-term care homes, home care organizations and interprofessional primary care organizations, many of these organizations may decide to integrate workplace violence into their QIPs.)
Materials and audio from this webinar are confidential in nature and will be available on the executive side of the ONA website.