- ONA’s recent win at the Superior Court saw the Ford government’s “election muzzling” bill struck down. Now, Doug Ford is attempting to override the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the Constitution in order to silence our voices.
- No Ontario Premier has ever invoked the notwithstanding clause. This is an extreme abuse of power to achieve personal gain. It shows disrespect for our courts and it is a violation of our Charter Right to freedom of expression.
- When campaigning to get elected, Doug Ford promised, in no uncertain terms, that he and his government would “listen to the front-line doctors and the nurses.” This is why we are appealing to all PC MPPs to take a stand against these extreme actions.
- Nurses will not be silenced! We must fight to protect our ability to criticize government policies and speak out on important public policy issues, like repealing Bill 124. It is critical that our voices are heard and amplified in the lead up to the provincial election.
Hi [MPP Name],
As a [nurse or health-care professional], I am calling to voice my concern about Premier Ford’s decision to block my constitutional rights to freedom of speech.
I’m shocked to hear that Premier Ford is disregarding our rights in order to push through his political agenda. This “Notwithstanding Clause” has never been used before in Ontario history. Now it’s being used for the first time ever to limit our freedoms to speak up through our trade unions in the middle of a global pandemic.
I am asking you to please vote to protect the rule of law in Ontario, and to protect the Constitution of Canada. Stand with us and defend our rights to speak freely about the issues that matter to all of us.
Steps to find your MPP’s phone number:
- Please click on this link to access the Ontario Legislative Assembly webpage.
- Scroll halfway down the page and enter your address in the field under “Find my MPP”. Then click “Find”.
- You will then be brought to a page with your MPP’s contact information. Scroll down to find the Constituency office phone number.
- Place your call.