Welcome to the Ontario Nurses’ Association! We are glad that you have joined us!
ONA is the proud union representing more than 68,000 registered nurses and health-care professionals and 18,000 nursing students. Our dedicated members provide quality care in all facets in health care including hospitals, long-term care facilities, public health, community, clinics, industry, community health centres and family health teams. As Canada’s largest nurses’ union, ONA has been advocating for our patients, residents and clients since 1973.
ONA achieves fairness
Every day, ONA fights for a fair workplace for ONA’s registered nurses and health-care professionals. We have achieved many significant enhancements to our members’ working conditions thanks in part to our central bargaining processes. Improvements include:
- The professional responsibility clause.
- Premium pay, shift, weekend, on-call and student supervision premiums.
- Protection from harassment and discrimination in the workplace.
- Protection from discipline/termination.
- Paid professional learning.
- Protection from health and safety hazards.
- Wage increases.
- Salary top-up for maternity and parental leave.
- Dental, mental health and extended health-care benefits.
- Pension improvements.
- Leaves of absence.
- Vacation entitlement, scheduling provisions and more.
As an ONA member, you have protection at your workplace against unfair practices and unsafe work conditions. Your workplace rights are outlined in a collective agreement (a legal contract between ONA and your employer.)
Your collective agreement outlines your terms and conditions of employment, including pay rates and benefits, statutory holidays, vacation time, sick leave, and short- and long-term disability and mileage. It may also contain clauses about seniority rights, job postings, job security and the grievance procedure (including arbitration), which is used to enforce your collective agreement rights. Most ONA collective agreements include unique language about professional responsibility and workload.